Thursday, June 7, 2007

Mas Reflejos

That is, more reflections. But first, an update. Yesterday, John and I (Kyle) pretty much vegetated all day and finished season 1 of Arrested Development, which is like visual crack (in terms of addictiveness). Last night we met up with one of Tyler's friends and Alec Olschner and went ourselves to a Colorado Rockies game. And you know, it was fun. $4 is a great price for pro baseball game, although we ended up wandering around and finding better seats that were lower on account of the wind. So I say that I truly appreciate a community event like a baseball game. And I think I'll try and get to a game by our local AAA team back in Lynden. You should, too. Bring some friends and family.

Now, down to business. This morning I woke up thinking about school and how it relates to this delegation. One of the things that struck me most about going to graduation was just how much there seemed to be a theme of peace and justice running throughout the whole event. I recall students being charged to do justice something like three times, and I remember seeking peace being said as well. I can't say I'm that surprised to hear that, especially from the people who I recall saying them, but it did kind take me aback when I thought about it. In a positive way, of course.

But as much as I hear it talked about from administrators and faculty, it's not in a unified voice. It seems like there's a lot of people doing a lot of different things (some big and some small), yet they lack an insitutional synthesis.

It's interesting, the more I give this thought, the more I realized my frustration is a tad misplaced. I think the question that provoked this was one of finding meaning life and work. IT all relates to the question of vocation that I have in fact been presented numerous times in my two years at Whitworth. How indeed do you live a life with meaning? What gives your life meaning?

Last night, watching Arrested Development, one of the characters was on his way to the mall, and he made the comment, "I could buy a new pair of shoes, maybe that will make me feel better!"

LIES.

That may be a little melodramatic, but I know you don't find fulfillment in possessions. If you haven't caught on yet, I despise materialism (even though I struggle with it constantly). I think my reaction here comes from being surrounded by a culture that is driven by material gain and feeling like it has an inescapable chokehold on me.

You know what else? Stewardship (of the earth) is hard in this culture. Last night, we had some Chipotle's for dinner. On the way out, I looked at the (disposable) paper cup I had. If I hadn't taken a straw and top for it, I could have saved some plastic from being used. For that matter, I could have brought my nalgene to put water in instead of using a cup that I would throw away anyway. The point is, our culture is not set up to be sustainable or even to be a good steward of the earth. And that, to me, shows the grip of the kingdom of darkness.

I realize little to nothing of this has to do with immigration, but alas, the thoughts do come out of the experience itself.

No comments:

Support Letter

Hello friend, This summer (May 24-June 4) John Williamson, Tyler Schroeder, and Kyle Navis will be going to Arizona to participate in Christian Peacemaker Team delegation that will seek to gain an understanding of the issues facing migrants and residents in the region. We will meet with representatives of human rights groups, government officials, and individuals on both sides of the border as part of the delegation. Our itinerary is not yet fully determined, but at this point we will spend at least half of our time in Mexico, visiting three to four different cities and meeting with migrants and those with whom they work in each of those places. According to our delegation leader, we'll also try to do at least a few days of a “border watch” in which we do a public witness where migrants are being detained in the desert. The goal of the trip is to learn about the situation on the border and to bring attention to the level of violence in the region. The motto of Christian Peacemaker Teams is to reduce violence by “getting in the way.” CPT says that it “embraces the vision of unarmed intervention waged by committed peacemakers ready to risk injury and death in bold attempts to transform lethal conflict through the nonviolent power of God’s truth and love.” CPT is an ecumenical organization solely focused on the working of peacemaking around the world. For more information, go to http://cpt.org/publications/history.php. In order to go on this trip, we collectively have to raise $1600 to cover transportation, food, and other expenses on the ground. Any financial resources that you would be willing to contribute would be highly appreciated! [Financial contributions can be directed towards individuals or the group fund, which will be split evenly among the three of us.] Even more so, we might be putting ourselves in situations of violence and conflict, so prayer is absolutely vital and central to our work. Please keep us in your prayers as we enter into this unfamiliar and possibly dangerous environment. We will work to keep you updated during the trip via Michael Vander Giessen, a friend who will be in Spokane during the trip (mvandergiessen09@whitworth.edu). We approach this trip with the utmost humility that we can muster. We do not claim to have the answers to every situation, nor even the experience to inform such answers. Rather, we seek this trip to be a time of growth and learning based on the conviction that nonviolence and peacemaking are more Christ-like alternatives to systems of violence. We are thankful for your support, in whatever form that takes!